Why I'm Never Going Back to Traditional Seating

As is the trend in education today, I have a flexible seating classroom.

Some people have 100% bought in to the idea of flexible seating, some people are still on the fence, and some people are adamantly against the idea.  I recognize that my experience is not universal, but I wanted to share my thoughts on why I decided on a flexible seating classroom and why I have decided I could never go back to a traditional classroom.

My flexible seating classroom at the start of the school year.
Student Independence
One of the big reasons I love flexible seating is the increase in student independence in my classroom.  Students are able to choose, within reason, where they learn best.  If they want to sit near a friend and are still able to get their work done, they have that option.  If they want to read sprawled out on the floor, more power to them.  By giving students a choice in where and how they sit, stand, kneel, or lay, I have seen an increase in students taking responsibility for their learning.

No Seating Chart
I used to be one of those teachers who stressed over the seating chart.  How often did I need to change it?  Who could not sit next to whom?  In what configuration should I put the desks?  How long would it take to change seats?  With my flexible seating classroom, students have the ability to move around throughout the day.  The chairs and desks stay in the same spot as long as they are still working well, so I never have to worry about rearranging desks.  Students know that I have the ability to move them if I feel they are unable to focus where they chose to sit.  However, they have the ability to start over every day with a clean slate.  Unless they have terribly misused a seat or damaged it intentionally, they get to control the seating chart.  I don't know about you, but I love having one less thing to worry about.

One of the most loved work spaces in our classroom.
Build-in Movement Breaks
So many of my students need movement breaks throughout the day.  With all of the research about how movement increases focus, I love the fact that I have movement breaks built in to the classroom.  Not only are my students able to get up and move around to find a new seat when they feel the need, but many of the seating options also facilitate movement.  I have yoga balls that students can bounce on (low, small bounces only), wobble stools that let students wiggle, and under-desk pedal machines that let students slowly move their legs while they read or work.  All of my students benefit from having the ability to move throughout the day in addition to recess time.

Wobble stools at the back table provide movement for students.
All in all, I am so happy that I made the switch to flexible seating.  Sure, there were hiccups in the beginning (How do you handle students fighting over seats? Where will students store their materials? How do I encourage students to pick a smart seat?), but they were easily overcome.  I made it clear from the get go that if there were any fights over seating options, neither student would be allowed to sit at the desired spot.  This helped the students manage their own problems and encouraged them to compromise.  We got book bins that students store their materials in and asked each parent to send in an accordion file folder that served as a "portable desk" that students could carry from space to space.  I let the students lead the conversation on how they would know they had chosen a smart seat, giving them more accountability for using the seats correctly. 

Students store their materials in the colored book bins on the counter.
Flexible seating has worked wonders in my classroom.  It has helped my students in multiple ways, and I could never imagine going back to desks and chairs.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Outer Space Day

Finding Funding for Your Donors Choose Project