Dear Students, I Hope You Remember More About this Year than How it Ended

Dear Students,

Well, it's official.  We will not be going back to school this year.  We will finish out the year only seeing each other through a computer screen.  And with that announcement, my heart is shattered.  We should have another month together, the best month of the year.  Now, without warning or getting to say a real goodbye, we had to end our year together early.  Sure, we'll be "distance learning" during this time, but we all know that isn't the same as coming into school every day.

I hope that when you look back on our year together, you don't dwell on how it ended.  I hope that, years from now, when you talk about school, you highlight all of the amazing things our year brought, instead of how a virus cheated us out of the final quarter of the year.

I hope that you remember and talk about how our class became a family over the first three quarters of the year.  I hope you talk about feeling safe in our classroom.  I hope your heart feels happy when you think about our morning meetings and afternoon closers, and how we shared some of our happiest moments and hardest times during them.  I hope you remember the team building activities we did, and how we learned to encourage one another to be our best.

I hope that when you look back on our year together, you think about all the smiles and laughter that we shared.  I hope that one day you randomly remember one of the silly inside jokes from our classroom and that it makes you smile to yourself.  I hope that you think about all of the times you were able to take our conversations way off track, as I just let us have those weird, hilarious talks that had nothing to do with what we were learning.

I hope that you can recall how we made learning into something fun in our classroom.  I hope that you think of our room transformation, our escape rooms, and the learning games we played.  I hope that when you think of our year together, you think more about the amazing experiences we shared on field trips than on the fact that you had to end your year stuck behind a screen. 

I know it may be hard, but I hope everything wonderful about our year outshines the crummy end of the year we had.  For me, I will remember your outgoing personalities, your kind natures, your helpfulness, and the absolute joy that you brought to every day that we got to spend together.  While our end of the year was not what it should have been, I will choose to look back on all of the times that made me smile, and I hope you do, too.

Even with how it ended, this really was the best year ever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Outer Space Day

Finding Funding for Your Donors Choose Project

Why I'm Never Going Back to Traditional Seating